Friday, June 29, 2012

The Joys of Read-Alouds + Free Handouts

NotSoWimpyResources wrote a really heartwarming post about the joys of reading aloud.  She talked about a perennial favorite amongst her students: Goosebumps: Phantom of the Auditorium, and how students loved it each year before her copy got too worn to read.  Years later, she got another copy and students still really enjoy it.


They enjoy it so much that she has included reading analysis sheets (for predictions and identifying cause and effect) for the novel.  Click to visit her blog and share the sheets with your readers!


What are some of your favorite read-alouds?  Subs are at a disadvantage because we generally can't read more than a chapter or two from any novel.  I do manage to have kids rapt when I get a chance to whip out one of my handy Junie B. Jones novels I take to work everyday.  


When I was a student, Roald Dahl's books were the best class read alouds (especially because my teacher, Mrs. Baker, was great with character voices, lol) and, in middle school, The Westing Game and The Outsiders kept us all captivated in class.  What about you?





No comments:

Post a Comment